Friday, January 05, 2007

Library day

I love books. I read while nursing the baby, while relaxing on the sofa, in bed before I turn out the light. I have been surrounded by books my entire life, raised by a reading teacher and even worked my senior year as a page. So we go to the library a lot. So often that the librarians are apt to call us and ask if we are sick if they don't see us for a week. Usually they are not thrilled to see my little crowd coming, but today was different.

After getting everyone up, dressed, fed, teeth brushed, beds made, and a bit of school done we went to our local branch. They have a pretty big children's section and librarians who eagerly help find obscure books even when I can't quite remember the full title.
In our 45 minute trip the kids read to each other, played on the computer, and sprawled on the floor of the aisles looking at books. It was the perfect outing, no bickering, just a peaceful large happy family. Grateful for the quiet, I perused the non-fiction section. When everyone was strapped back in the car I handed out my finds. "I want fossils!" "I want the horse book!" "nmals!" (animals)
I am so thrilled that the kids love to read and spend time at one of my favorite places in the world- the library.

No comments: