Tuesday, April 17, 2007

bikinis and high heels

Mary and I went shoe shopping last evening for her 1st Holy Communion. We had already purchased a lovely white satin dress with an overlay of tulle and a little jacket to match. I sewed tulle onto a satin covered headband since all the veils I saw were too fancy for such a little girl. We tried the base exchange earlier and hadn't found anything so we headed to the mall. All I could find were white shoes with 1" high heels and lots of straps and rhinestones before we hit Payless and finally spotted a proper pair of Mary Jane's.
Thank goodness, for after wandering around the consumer paradise for 1/2 an hour I was almost convinced that there were no modest options for girls above the age of 2. I have been shopping so long at the local thrift shops that I didn't realize how tacky most girl's clothing is these days. Did you know that you could find leopard print bikinis for toddlers or shirts with suggestive messages for elementary schoolchildren? I will continue to stock up on solid and striped tshirts, jumpers, and jeans for the girls. They may be plain , but I would rather describe the look as "timeless". "It is a far, far better thing to be classic than trashy," as Charles Dickens might have said.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our PX had the most appalling dressy shoes for girls! They all had heels, even the toddler shoes! My 6 yo tried them on anyway and didn't like the way they felt. We found appropriate shoes at Payless, too.

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

I was thinking the same thing the other day. I was buying my son some jeans and simple collared shirts at Target, and I wandered through the girls' clothing for a little while. Over-priced and under-covering! :) What ARE they thinking?? Or are they?

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

It's not just little girl clothes. The boy section (size 6 and 8!) has T-shirts that say things like "Chick Magnet", "Little Sisters Suck" and "D + Student".

I started buying them the plain black and gray ones in the Hanes underwear section.


Although I must say how peeved I was that I couldn't find Easter shoes for my 3 yo girl that were flats!

Mama Says