Monday, August 02, 2010

growing plump

No, I'm getting fat, in fact, I've been running about 5 miles a day and am within 1 pound of my pre-pregnancy weight. My watermelon and pumpkins, on the other hand, are growing bigger every day. We had two volunteer watermelon plants this year, my guess is that they were seeds that failed to sprout last summer. So far we have about 10 tiny melons, the largest is the size of a large eggplant.
The pumpkins are about the size of a softball right now, I think they are Baby Bear variety and will mature early.


Somehow my peas are within days of harvest, despite planting 2 months too late, and I must have 10 tomatoes that will be ready this week. The squash is overwhelming in productivity, on Friday I gave away 13 and gave put 5 more in a box at the pool for someone to take on Saturday morning. No can eat that much squash, despite my efforts at eating it sauteed with onion and pork sausage several times this past week. Julia Ellen is my only co-patriot in eating the stuff, but she can't eat more than a few slices. I already have tons of ideas for next year's garden, including many more peas and much fewer crooknecks.

No comments: