Saturday, October 25, 2008

making a point...

Someone passed this on, I couldn't resist:

Yesterday on my way to lunch at Olive Garden, I passed one of the homeless guys in that area, with a sign that read "Vote Obama, I need the money."

Once in Olive Garden my waiter had on a "Obama 08" tee shirt. When the bill came, I decided not to tip the waiter and explained to him while he had given me exceptional service, that his tee shirt made me feel he obviously believes in Senator Obama's plan to redistribute the wealth. I told him I was going to redistribute his tip to someone that I deemed more in need--the homeless guy outside. He stood there in disbelief and angrily stormed away.

I went outside, gave the homeless guy $3 and told him to thank the waiter inside, as I had decided he could use the money more. The homeless guy looked at me in disbelief but seemed grateful. As I got in my truck, I realized this rather unscientific redistribution experiment had left the homeless guy quite happy for the money he did not earn, but the waiter was pissed that I gave away the money he did earn. Well, I guess this redistribution of wealth is going to take a while to catch on, with those doing the work.

3 comments:

Jackie Parkes MJ said...

I love it & your blog!

Kelly said...

just stumbled on this today...love your blog. would like to link to mine tomorrow when i have a chance.

Luke Holzmann said...

Followed a link here. That's a good example, but, unfortunately, I think it just makes people angry and doesn't help them connect the dots. I hope it worked for you waiter, but I'm guessing not.

Sad, because it's hilarious.

~Luke