Wednesday, October 22, 2008

helping with chores

Years ago while I was pregnant with Charlie I strained my back something terrible and was forced to stay in bed for 4-5 days, which seemed like an absolute lifetime. The OB fitted me with a back brace and instructed me to not lift anything over 10 pounds until delivery. I had almost forgotten about those few stressful weeks until yesterday when I pulled something in my back while carrying a tub of sweaters up from the basement. I popped a few Tylenol, but it kept nagging me because I don't even know what is going to happen when I go into labor this spring. Tim's sisters both live 1 hour away and after only 2 weeks we haven't really gotten to know many of the neighbors well. Tim can't take time off from work if I can't take care of the children and there is no other family to assist, even if I was in dire straights.

So... the kids have been instructed to HELP. They are all willing to chip in for precious Baby Sunshine's sake. Will is carrying the laundry baskets up 2 flights of stairs, Mary and Maggie are emptying the dishwasher, and even Timmy is helping with the laundry.

Timmy hauls every piece of wet clothing out of the washer (I am so grateful for a front-loader!), identifying each, "Daddy shirt. Maggie pants..." and shoves them into the dryer. He then pushes the buttons to start the cycle. As the items begin spinning he traces a circle with his finger, "goes round and round!" Thank goodness for my helpers, especially the littlest of them all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet. And it is sort of scary when family and close friends are far away. Last year, I wasn't even sure how I was going to make it to the hospital. Luckily, I know people now that I know would help out if I asked.

Karen said...

Are you anti-chiropractor? Dunno what I'd do without mine! I've seen one during every pregnancy since my 3rd!

kat said...

I've never been to a chiropractor, never even given it a thought. (I did have a pregnancy massage once, that was very nice) I'll keep it in mind.

The muscles seem to be back to normal, but I'm going to play it safe by not carrying anything up the stairs.