Saturday, April 26, 2008

winding down

Last night Mary went to her next-to-last Brownie meeting, a crafty party with all the mothers chattering about tents, chair rentals, and the weather forecast. Because you know, 1st Holy Communion day at the local parish will be in 2 weeks and all of the other girls in the troop are preparing. One mother was saying how she is renovating her house and hopefully it will all be finished in time, she can't have all 110 people and the kiddy DJ they are expecting to have to fit inside if it rains. Another was lamenting that she can't believe that she completely forgot to buy white shoes. Even the most down-to-earth mom was saying how she couldn't possibly fit in a trip to the strawberry patch this week, it was too close to the big party. No one mentioned anything religious in regards to the day, except for the renovation lady who said, "Its a once-in-a-lifetime thing, and besides, religion is a good excuse for a party."

I guess I have been overly sheltered, I hadn't met any folks who turned this most special and holy day into a freak show. Apparently I just hadn't been Catholic long enough. Or maybe it is because I usually socialize with homeschooling moms who place much more importance on spiritual readiness than on the externals.

Our other activities are winding down as well: 5 piano lessons, 3 Cub Scout events, and 3-4 more weeks before the babysitter moves away. I wanted this year to be a quiet one, spent mostly at home doing school. What I didn't expect was a complete lack of other moms around who are homeschooling, orthodox, and/or welcoming. It has been tough and I've been very grateful for the friendships I have through my homeschooling boards and this blog. While I am glad that Tim did this fellowship, I will be very grateful for the upcoming move and its increased opportunities, both for the children and myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is just too bad that we didn't meet earlier in your stay here!

Jeanne