Thursday, April 10, 2008

Traditional Latin Mass in Maine

The last week or so I have been reading, emailing, and calling trying to find out more information about a proposal from Bishop Malone in Portland. To serve the traditional faithful he has decided to set up a chaplaincy to offer the TLM in Portland and Lewiston, both cities in the southern part of the state. The bishop stated in a previous letter, "The chaplaincy will exist as long as there is sufficient funding to meet its expenses." The chaplain who has been appointed to this post is Father Parent and he recently released a letter saying that the project needs to raise $18,000 before July 1 to proceed. Now all kinds of charges of simony (charging for the sacraments) are being raised across the Internet.

I have done what I feel is right by talking on the phone with a committee member as well as Father Parent and getting answers to some of my questions. What will happen is dependent on many factors, but I will contine to pray with hope for a Latin Mass parish in Maine for our family. May God bless this chaplaincy.

1 comment:

Goodwyf Allie said...

Well--the Latin Mass has always been available at the Cathedral right? I guess having it more orginized--with it's own chaplain does take some $. I bet there are at least 180 adults who want this--can everyone donate $100? I know that can be steep in a large-family-crowd--but between now and July, with some sacrifices, I think it's do-able. $1800 is not that much really.
The school my husband works for is doing a fundraising evening in two weeks that will net more than $60,000 in one night. Heck--one good spagettis dinner will get it for you! And I bet the Bishop would be pleased to see all the families working hard to make this happen, rather than complaining--would show an obedient and determined spirit.