Wednesday, April 16, 2008

One year ago...

I was driving across the Monitor Merrimack Bridge Tunnel with a van filled with my weekly commissary haul when the radio announcer broke into my usual classical music with, "There has been a shooting at Virginia Tech. So far the police confirm 14 dead with more likely." I immediately began to cry for those poor teens, their families, and all my fellow Hokies. One year later I still can't comprehend the hatred and cruelty of the shooter, the enormity of the tragedy.

Virginia Tech is pausing to remember the victims of last year's massacre that left 32 victims dead.
A sea of people wearing orange and maroon flowed onto the school's main lawn, some clutching single roses, on the first anniversary of the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history.
Virginia Tech President Charles Steger told the crowd, "We remain deeply and profoundly saddened by the events of that tragic day."
Virginia Governor Timothy Kaine ordered state flags flown at half-staff, as well as a statewide moment of silence at noon followed by the tolling of bells. A candlelight vigil is set for the evening.

No comments: