Monday, April 14, 2008

striving for Heaven

This weekend Mary and I headed over to St. Benedict's for 10:30 Mass and saw many of our old friends and dear, kind Father Willis. I had been disappointed that I was not able to attend the Una Voce talk on Friday evening by famous Father Zuhlsdorf of WDTPRS (What Does the Prayer Really Say?) and was slightly shocked when I turned during the processional to see him coming down the aisle. He said a beautiful High Mass and his homily really made me think about my own holiness. You see I was brought up to be critical and cynical, the sort of person who says, "If you don't have anything nice to say about anyone, come sit by me." That attitude began to change when I entered the Catholic Church 9 years ago. It has been a long, hard slog these many years to become a more kind and gentle person and it is hard to not fall back into those habits. I admit that I am jealous of my friends like Jennifer in Maine who are naturally sweet and mild, but they also inspire me to practice these arts for my family's sake.

Father's homily reflected on the question, "Which is the greatest Commandment?" Jesus' response, "Love the Lord your God with your whole mind, soul, and strength, and your neighbor as yourself," is about having an ongoing conversation with ourselves, God, and our neighbor. Examining our conscious, praying, and exhibiting the fruits of the Holy Spirit are evidence of a strong faith. I think that, while I have a very, very long journey to Sainthood, I have become less inclined to sin, feel closer to God, and exhibit perhaps a few of those precious fruits of the Holy Spirit. When we feel like we are on a treadmill going nowhere, it is good to look back and see our long term progress.

No comments: