Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I feel...

FAT.

Yes, I know I'm only 2.5 weeks post-partum, and perhaps I need that little cushion to support the baby during nursing, but 22 extra pounds on a person who is vertically-challenged makes that person look like Augustus Gloop in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I don't care that I was still wearing maternity pants 6 weeks after having Will, I don't care that I could still only fit in one skirt 8 weeks after having Charlie, I miss my regular clothes and my regular shape (that shape would be flat, not round).

So... yesterday I didn't follow the advice of resting for the first 6 weeks in my favorite (incidentally the only one I have ever read) weight loss book, Outsmarting the Female Fat Cell After Pregnancy,

I went running and my legs loved it. After a mile, however, my abdomen and my chest were not having much fun so I turned around and ran more slowly back home. But it was my first exercise in about 7 months so hopefully before I know it I will be wearing that size 8 pink skirt that I picked up at the consignment shop about 3 weeks before I couldn't zip it up anymore. Maybe it isn't that I dislike being fat so much as I am too cheap to buy a whole new wardrobe. I guess it doesn't matter why I want to lose the weight, be it clothes, my health, or wanting to place in a 5K, just as long as I do something about it.

6 comments:

MentalMom said...

It took months to put on that weight Katherine, it may take months to get it off. Being safe is more important than being thin.
You have a dinner-plate sized wound on your uterus. As a grand-multip you are at a much higher risk of hemorrhage and at not even 3 weeks postpartum it is still a possibility if you overdo it. Your joints are still affected by the relaxin too and you are more likely to injure yourself.
You may want to walk and do some *light* weight training for now. Save the running for another month or two.

I appreciate your need to be 'normal' but it takes time. Give yourself some time.

MilitantMom said...

I'm rooting for you! Whenever I was nursing a new baby, I loved the fact that my weight would go down as baby's went up...sort of a fat transfer system. Keep on nursing and taking good care of yourself and soon the weight will just melt away...

I recently offered to do a lipo-transfer with my 21 year-old daughter who is bony-skinny...she refused. So do it while you can!

Carolyne said...

After my little one came, it was hard not to be discouraged. I'm sure you'll be wearing that little pink skirt in no time! Good luck! I'm sure your man thinks your gorgeous!

It's so nice to meet other moms here in the blogosphere!

carolyne
www.elevenish.etsy.com

Carolyne said...

BTW, I absolutely love the name of your blog!! Great book!

Karen said...

I wish nursing worked that way for me. :-/

Have to say I agree with Karen though, Katherine. Take it off right.

kat said...

After thinking about it a while I realized my new fear about this pudge has to do with my mother's cancer and death. I certainly didn't worry this much with the other pregnancies. Her symptoms of upset tummy and bloating were classic signs of ovarian cancer, but she didn't realize it until it was too late.