Friday, May 09, 2008

Timmy Houdini

The nice weather has kept us outside the past few days with more than walks around the pond and Will and Mary trying out their new fishing rods. Though Will caught a large mouth bass and Mary told us of several large ones "that got away."

When the big kids ask if they can go off to catch turtles or fish I usually say okay 'cause I trust them not to do anything dangerous. Preschoolers and toddlers are a different story. I am grateful that Maggie and Charlie stay in the yard, but Timmy goes right for the pond or the street. It has been a enormous challenge to keep this daredevil safe. I installed hook-and-eye latches for several of the doors, but he keeps testing them and 15 minutes don't go by before he finds one unlatched.

Out he goes.

Or he rediscovers that the back screen is a sliding door has a faulty latch.

Out he goes.

Or he enables his super sensitive radar to know when the garage storm door latch hasn't been tightly shut.

Out he goes.

I'm sure this desire to escape will serve some useful purpose in Timmy's adult vocation, perhaps he will be a performer in magic shows or a war spy. I can already tell that he won't be a corporate type working in a high rise, only able to look out the window.

As for me, I'm getting a lot of exercise hunting down and chasing my elusive little dude back into the house.

1 comment:

Goodwyf Allie said...

It is two springs since I had a mini-van drive into my yard to let out my 20 month old and the doll stroller he took off with for a walk down our country road. (we had just begun to question the lack of noise in the yard. . .) Little did I know that over the winter my baby had become a distance hiker! ACK! Mommy Horrors! Thankfully it was an understanding Mom friend, who knows us and thought the person pushing the stroller looked a bit small to be out on his own. . .