Wednesday, May 21, 2008

smoke and mirrors

oooooh, I despise traffic, but I'm pretty good at driving in it due to my 3 years of striving with the Italians. There, people would regularly back up on the highway, pass other cars on narrow, winding roads, and take advantage of the law that gives faster drivers the right-of-way. Routinely I would pull into the left lane to pass a 3 wheeled truck toodling along at 35 and see lights flashing and horns honking from a BMW driver going 100 mph right up to my back bumper. So, while stop-and-go congestion is not even comparable, I didn't enjoy 90 minutes in it to get to my appointment with the realtor.

After a trip to the potty, we set off in the realtor's SUV. She explained that her car needed oil and she had splashed some on the engine as she couldn't find the funnel. That was the understatement of a lifetime as for the next 3 hours the oil burned off the manifold and seeped out from the hood and into the interior. I sniffed my sweater while we were chatting with one tenant and I realized that I smelled like one of the pit crew at a NASCAR race. I promised myself a long, hot, cleansing shower whenever I finally returned back to my SIL's place.

We looked at many dumps and one diamond that I immediately fell in love with. It was a pristine Craftsman style cottage with every amenity one could imagine: hardwood floors, stone patio with grill, 10 rooms, wide porches, soaring stone fireplace, two fenced acres, and all overlooking a pond with wild birds. I said, "I'll take it," but the next hour was bogged down with negotiations over lease length, Tim's apprehension about the price and lengthy commute, and after overhearing the listing agent say she "was not comfortable with so many children in the house" we decided to let it go. It will take me a few days to get over my disappointment, but I am optimistic that it will all turn out for the best.

So, at 4pm I still had no lease to sign, but 6 more realistic options to consider after a return trip down to DC. Today my goal is simple: look again and this time walk away with a rental contract signed and a place to call home for the next 2-3 years.

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Motherhen said...

Isn't it considered discrimination not to lease to you due to "too many children"??

I hope you find the perfect house!

kat said...

Probably, but would you want to rent a house so pristine that every mark or scuff will be "proof" that 5 children are "too many"? Also I didn't want to live on a secluded place with someone (the owners live on the farm) who thinks ill of you just because of our family size. The beauty wasn't worth the expense, distance, and hostility.

Now we found a better house to move into- not as stylish and not the lot size we hoped for, but with plenty of children around and a short commute to work, not to mention being $500 cheaper!

All in all I think we were right to walk away and find something better for our large brood.

Motherhen said...

God always looks out for us, doesn't He? I'm glad ya'll found a better place for much cheaper. That's always a bonus.