Friday, October 23, 2009

a family of readers

Yesterday while waiting in the lobby of the ballet studio a little red-head was cracking open a Magic Treehouse book. "How many of those have you read?" I asked her. That started a discussion with her mother about children's books, the local library (their children's librarian is very knowledgeable), and how much time I make them read. I explained in a flip way that since I have to pry books out of the kid's hands so they will eat and sleep, it isn't a matter of making them. My job at the library is to make sure the books they check out are appropriate (no more Star Wars), and that they assist in carrying them to the car.

Exposing the children to a "print-rich environment" and giving them a "literary-filled childhood" is pretty simple, especially since I need to renew my own bedside stash on a weekly basis. And while I do like to read to the little ones (as long as it is not re-reading Spooky Old Tree for the 800th time), there are few things sweeter to witness in this world than a big girl reading to her much younger brothers.

1 comment:

AF Wife99 said...

My oldest DD is a speed reader too. I can't keep track of how many books she reads a week. I do try to encourage her to challenge herself and alternate a classic with an American Girl or Boxcar children book.