Wednesday, October 28, 2009

back to the tourist list

Now that we have settled back into a routine, I called my Senator's office and scheduled a tour of the Capitol. With ballet class two evenings a week, dropping off children at piano lessons twice a week (Maggie goes on Monday and the big kids go on Tuesday), and Boy Scouts on yet another evening, the only day each week we have free is Wednesdays. I know by now that I cannot haul 6 kids downtown on the METRO and then expect any of us to function well afterwards. I also stipulated to the girl on Sen. Collins' staff that we have to be heading home well before rush hour so none of my children get lost or trampled in the subway station.

My original list of 23 "must-see" Washington, DC sites has been worked over and now only contains 7 places we haven't seen yet. There are a few that I want to revisit such as Mount Vernon (especially since I bought season passes) and the National Zoo. While I'm not as eager to jump on the METRO as I was last year (I don't have quite enough hands with another child in tow to feel safe), my sense of perseverance will require us to check off every last cultural/historical destination deemed educational. We still have 2 years left on this tour, but I'm the type who doesn't like to let commitments dangle, be it thank you notes, school assignments, or my own hastily scribbled "want to see while in DC" list.

No comments: