Tuesday, May 05, 2009

saving my pennies

The IHM homeschool conference is next month and my favorite vendor (besides Seton) is Keller Books. The booth is always crawling with used book aficionados and I learned to take my highlighted list of Landmark Books with me, after finding out the hard way, that when faced with dozens of titles I can't recall which ones we already own.

Yes, we have access to some good libraries where we can find updated biographies and histories, but I have found that my kids are more apt to read The Story of WWI or The Building of the Transcontinental Railroad if it is sitting on the shelf in our home. Some of the particular titles I will be hunting for are The West Point Story, The Story of the Paratroopers, and Dwight D. Eisenhower. To pay for all these purchases I have been trying not to go to the thrift shop, the drug store, or the quilt shop, but instead trying to organize our shelves and see what we really need for next year.

1 comment:

MilitantMom said...

I love Landmark books too! Not sure how many we have, but they are all wonderful. My sil is going to be at the IHM conference too. And I'm bugging dh to see if we can afford the airfare to DC for me to go...