Monday, May 04, 2009

breakfast of champions

In southern Virginia strawberry season begins around April 20 and in North Carolina a bit earlier than that, but 250 miles to the north we expect the berries not to hit peak for another 3-4 weeks. This is a shame 'cause the kids have been pestering me (with good results) to buy them strawberries at the grocery. These children looooove strawberries, last year we ate 8 buckets worth over the course of the season. This morning I made buttermilk biscuits with a little extra sugar and covered the split halves with cut berries, and smothered them in homemade whipped cream.

During the meal as we watched the public school bus pull up, I said, "Now aren't you glad you are homeschooled? You are sitting here eating shortcake while all those children probably ate cold cereal before going outside to stand in the rain." Will said, "Yeah, on my hike Saturday I told the other boys about homeschooling, now they want to do it too!"

1 comment:

Maurisa said...

Very cute plug for home schooling. Sounds delicious too. I'll have to try that breakfast out on my crew!