Friday, December 28, 2007

self teaching

On a recent trip to the library Will found a book entitled How to Be the Best in Everything, which seems to be another version of several "how to be a boy" books which are very popular right now. Of course, if more boys were allowed to be rambunctious and daring, doing dangerous stuff with their friends and dads, instead of being surrounded by women and abandoned by their Peter Pan fathers, these books wouldn't be so needed. However, Will did learn in 2 tries how to knot a tie after following the simple instructions and graphics given. Since I have no knowledge of tie tying, being a girl, I am glad that I escaped the fate of having to teach this subject. Luckily I don't now have to go out and purchase said tie, because we found one when we went to Mother's a few weeks back. In the same box was an old pleated skirt in the same MacKenzie plaid and Mary wore it to Christmas Day Mass. The two of them looked so cute in my brother's and my old clothes that I had an emotional moment.

I think it is great that he can now do this and will likely teach his brothers many years in the future. I do have a funny feeling though that our slowpoke Will just got a new excuse to be the last one out the door on the way to Mass. After all, it takes a couple more tries to get a tie to look just right than just clipping one on. I really am impressed by his new ability, I guess that is the next phase of parenting: having your child know something you don't, I just didn't expect it at 9.

1 comment:

andie said...

I have the same feelings about those books. That said, ds and I spent an afternoon with the Dangerous Book for Boys recently, and he finally taught me how to make a decent paper airplane.