Monday, December 31, 2007

its raining, its pouring!

North Carolina has been suffering from a 100 year drought, in fact, I think I can count the number of times it has rained since we moved here on one hand. The cities and counties in our neck of the woods have been counting down the number of days before the taps would go dry, on Christmas it was down to 90 days.

Yes, I know we use a lot of water, I run the dishwasher and wash 2 loads of laundry every day, plus daily bathing for 7. We are not the most conservative folks on the planet when it comes to water, but we try not to waste it either. We have been trying not to flush the potty quite so often, but Timmy has just discovered how much fun it is to flush and watch the water swirl down. I have been trying to remind the children not to let the water run when they are brushing their teeth, but now every time Tim runs the faucet for more than 1 minute the children holler, "Turn that off, don't you know we are having a drought?"

"But dear, isn't it nice to know the children are listening?"

Yesterday it rained all day, a steady patter than likely put us back over the 100 day mark. We took the opportunity to watch movies, my selections this time, since I have already had to suffer through all 3 original Star Wars movies that Will unwrapped on Christmas morning. Pride and Prejudice is not quite so romantic when every scene is interrupted by "that's a big horse," "who is that again?," "Charlie stop playing with the xylophone!," and seeing a toddler's head bouncing in front of the screen every 10 minutes. But I enjoyed my film and I think the rest of them, except Will, liked seeing something that was light saber, star ship, and alien free.

No comments: