Thursday, December 06, 2007

grocery savings?

For the past 2 months I have been combining coupons with sale items at the grocery store to make up for the higher food prices we have been seeing this year. Every trip I manage to save between 25-65% off my bill, but Tim questioned whether the time spent checking ads, clipping coupons... was doing us any good.

I got out a sharp pencil and my trusty orange solar calculator and calculated how much we averaged per week shopping 6 months ago and how much we are spending now. The results were startling to both of us. Comparing our current spending with our former usage of the military commissary, which doesn't have any profit markups, we are still saving about $200 a month. Our pantry is bulging with food and I am now to the point that I can selectively shop for just the best deals.

It is so easy to give it a try, most weekly ads are now on-line and even have point and click shopping lists to print out. Several grocery stores have additional coupons you can load on-line and combine with manufacturer coupons and sales to purchase items for pennies. Several good websites I reference are couponmom and hotcouponworld.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Katherine,
I have never done the whole coupon thing, but lately I see that we need to do something. With the rising cost of gas and food things are a wee bit tighter then before! We shop every two weeks and lately if I use a menu plan the cost is creeping up to $400! Yikes. If I don't have a set menu plan then of course I buy less, but then we end up doing umpteen runs and spend even more over time.
I hadn't visited your blog in a while and then I notice that Caleb had put you on his blog under the list of blogs that he visits! :)
Now, I'm off to visit those coupon sites you posted. Thanks...
Oh, and the house in Maine is coming along great! Your post about LHOP and sitting by the fire made me sigh :) I'm excited for you Katherine. It was nice seeing you, even though it was brief. It seems we are ever in a hurry these days, but things should slow down after 1st Communion and then Cofirmation in Scranton.
Laura D.