Friday, November 23, 2007

justifying abortion to "save the planet"

I recall when I was about 17 and didn't know much about the world that I never wanted to have children. Bodily fluids and pain sounded horrible and if they could rip it all out so I would never get my period again then so much the better. I listened to NPR and read Organic Gardening magazine and thought that the Earth was going into an Ice Age and humans were doomed. I twisted both these thoughts together in my mind and turned my disgust and misinformation into something virtuous and selfless. But I grew up. I read more books. I learned that God is in control, not us.

After reading this article in the Daily Mail, I was struck by how the two women interviewed and photographed had that same twisted logic. Humans are destroying the planet by merely living on it and if we stop existing then the world will be a better place. It is misplaced religion, as we have shifted from to a post-Christian culture people have turned to worshipping the Earth. Read of how one of the women justifies her abortion to satisfy this "god":

"I didn't like having a termination, but it would have been immoral to give birth to a child that I felt strongly would only be a burden to the world.
"I've never felt a twinge of guilt about what I did, and have honestly never wondered what might have been.
"After my abortion, I was more determined than ever to pursue sterilisation.

The other woman who was interviewed justifies her decision to undergo sterilization for the planet's sake, because she says if she became pregnant then it would be a hard decision to keep the baby. Guess it would be impossible to save face after spouting off to the entire world how you think children are so horrible.

Most young girls dream of marriage and babies. But Sarah dreamed of helping the environment - and as she agonised over the perils of climate change, the loss of animal species and destruction of wilderness... "I realised then that a baby would pollute the planet - and that never having a child was the most environmentally friendly thing I could do."

Mark adds: "Sarah and I live as green a life a possible. ... we do everything we can to reduce our carbon footprint. But all this would be undone if we had a child.
"That's why I had a vasectomy. It would be morally wrong for me to add to climate change and the destruction of Earth.
"Sarah and I don't need children to feel complete. What makes us happy is knowing that we are doing our bit to save our precious planet."


No, I don't think every married couple should have 8 children just for the sake of being able to, folks have different emotional and financial limits. But not having children because you want to personally "save the planet" is silly and immature at best, and likely just trying to put a politically correct spin on being selfish and egotistical.

1 comment:

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

I think we all go through the initial fear of the pain and the bodily fluids and even the loss of modesty that comes with childbirth.

But most of us grow up a bit more, like you did, and I did, and think about the joy and delight of having children.

My own daughter recently emerged from the "Yuck!" stage, and now at 22 has a serious boyfriend and is thinking about babies in the future.

But beyond the "yuck!" stage, I just don't get the logic of not having children in order to save the planet. It seems that these misguided young women seen to think that humanity, rather than being part of nature, is somehow an enemy of it. This is a very strange and dangerous idea.

And how sad that these young women are contemplating forgoing having children! I believe that my children have caused me to be more invested in the communities in which I live and work. And I think that ultimately, they make us better human beings.