Monday, November 05, 2007

65% off

Today Tim asked me if I really needed to go to the grocery store. "After all," he said, "the pantry and pie safe are stuffed full and I can't even see what is in the freezer it is packed in so tightly." Yes dear, you see these dozen items are on sale and I also have coupons, which means I can practically get them for FREE. As for room, we have plenty of space under the bed.

So, after school work was finished I chased Timmy around the house shouting, "shoes, let me put your shoes on little boy," before grabbing my bag and coupon box and pushing them all in the van. Six stops later... after CVS, Kroger, the dentist office to pick up a left-behind library book, Staples, Whole Foods, and Burger King for a little sustenance (for me, though I did toss a few fries into the back seat) I showed Tim my Kroger receipt and crowed, "I saved 65% off all this stuff (and it is stuff we use)! That's the best I've done yet!" I think I even saw a smile on his face when I told him about his new stash of shaving cream.

My friend Genna is so enthusiastic about this shopping system that she gives talks about couponing/rebating at churches and women's groups. Her husband made her a spreadsheet with which she keeps track of her savings. Amazingly enough, in the 9 years they have been married she has saved $27,000 at the grocery store. I called her this afternoon to tell her my awesome score, she said I really need to get a freezer in the garage. If I can keep Tim well supplied with Breyers ice cream on sale he will get on board the savings train.

Toot toot!

No comments: