Saturday, October 06, 2007

the grocery bill

While my friend Genna and I were chatting (gossipping) about our post-college lives she mentioned that in addition to several part-time jobs she is really into couponing and rebating to lower their household expenses. She showed me the pantry, fridges, and freezers chock full of food that she bought for almost free using double coupons with sale items. There were boxes and cans under the bed, stacked in the closets, all on less than $300 a month.

When I confessed that I spent over $900 in groceries last month she promised to help me pare down my budget by sending me updates on coupons. I am going to really try to work on this aspect of our money management, and to help I have decided to sign up for 4 weeks of the grocery game. I'll let you know how it goes in my transition from commissary to civilian shopping mama.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

But, remember, if you're buying food and then storing it (i.e not eating it) you're not saving any money!! Only buy what you need.