Tuesday, November 07, 2006

worried mama

Yesterday I was convinced Maggie had meningitis. She woke up with a fever and a headache, complained that her tummy hurt and she wanted to throw up. Tim convinced me after talking with her on the phone that she simply had a fever and a cold. (the fever is gone today)

Thank goodness my kids don't get sick very often or I would be a wreck. I am one of those worry-wort mothers who worries as I drive over bridges, "How would I get everyone out if the car went over the rail?" I have actually read the entire military child care manual as well as an old copy of Common Simple Emergencies so that I would know what to do in case something terrible happens.
What have I actually done when something terrible happened?
When Will fell off his bike, I made him walk the block home because I thought he was being babyish. Tim took one look and said, "His arm is broken." When Mary complained of classic bladder infection symptoms I took her to the ER on Christmas Day where it turned out to be diaper rash. In an actual emergency I'm pretty worthless, luckily our children don't injure each other too much. But if anyone needs to know how to get a fishhook out of the eyelid, or a remedy for tear gas exposure I can lend you my book.

No comments: