Wednesday, November 08, 2006

laundry

I have been known to covet. Not anyone's husband, mind you, but perhaps their laundry room. When I look in design magazines and see the perfect laundry room with shelves and a table for folding, and a window to look out while ironing, I get a tad envious. You see, I have a laundry closet. In the front hall of our house. When I bring down the basket of dirty clothes it goes all over the hall floor where anyone walking in would see and wrinkle their nose.
However, this arrangement is perfect for our homeschooling because the washer and dryer are right across the hall from the schoolroom. It only takes 2 minutes to load the dryer and start the washer again-the same amount of time Will and Mary can work quietly without starting to bicker. I can haul the clean clothes upstairs and dump them on my bed and be back before a page of handwriting is finished. (that's my trick, it all has to be folded and put away before I can go to bed, because it is covering the bed)
So, while I gaze at those picture-perfect laundry rooms in design books I am grateful at this stage in my life that I only have my little laundry closet.
Really.

No comments: