Thursday, November 02, 2006

My musical prodigy

While I love being with my children every day and knowing they are getting a good Catholic education, I revel in those precious "eureka, I got it!"moments. I was amazed when my oldest started reading after much struggle and more amazed when my second child started reading a book aloud one day. "Why Mary, I didn't know you could read!"
Today we had one of those moments. Will played "Oh, How I Love Jesus" from memory on the piano. To my ears it sounded better than Chopin, better than Bach, because it was my little boy playing. Somehow, the recessive musical genes were passed on to at least one of my children (the genes I don't have). You see, I can't play a whistle, can't sing, couldn't keep up past lesson #3 in Will's piano book. You could hear the excitement bursting out of him, "Mommy, I did it perfectly!"
I am so proud of all my children's achievements, no matter how small and I am grateful that I am the one to be there, teaching, prodding, encouraging them to do so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE hearing Craig practice, it is wonderful (especially since we are past the clink clink clink stage). I am really enjoying that he just got his book for the Christmas recital and is playing "Angels We Have Heard on High" very well already. It's the best time of year musically.