Thursday, March 25, 2010

flexibility is the key

Being a military family is a lot like a last-minute bargain traveler. We have the opportunity to travel and see many places in our country and around the world, but we sometimes must make a speedy decision, and the destination options might not be as broad as if we have gone to the travel agency months in advance. After getting all excited about returning to my hometown and researching the real estate market extensively, there are some issues that might prevent us from going to Portsmouth. We have a few other options, including staying here in DC or moving up to Great Lakes in Illinois.

The next few weeks will prove my competence as a military spouse, the ability to go with the flow and not get my heart set on any specific plan. There are benefits to going to Portsmouth, especially to spend more time with my grandmother, who is currently trying out an assisted living facility. But I certainly can't act like a spoiled child and insist that we go there, it might not be possible. Even staying here would be a pain as we have to move to another house with our lease expiring. Illinois would be an adventure since I've never been in that part of the country and relish the idea of trying out something new for a short spell.

My plan for this week is to research the area I know little about, perhaps look at some rental prices, call Seton for the names of some homeschoolers in the area, and roll the idea around a bit like a new food in my mouth and see if it is palatable.

2 comments:

Renee said...

I don't know about the Great Lakes region of IL... but there were lots of Catholic homeschoolers down river near St Louis.
Living in the Great Lakes would prepare you for the move to cold and snowy Maine

Ute said...

The next few weeks will prove my competence as a military spouse, the ability to go with the flow and not get my heart set on any specific plan.

I think you hit the nail on the head. This is exactly the core competency of military spouses. I wish you all the best. May you find that God has put you in the right place, whereever you will end up.