Tuesday, July 15, 2008

soon to be a published writer!

As I scrolled through the 80+ emails in my inbox yesterday I found one very exciting one from an editor at Cricket Magazine. Way back when I was expecting baby Timmy, I signed up for one of those writing classes you find advertised in the back of magazines, "Take this test and see if you would make a good children's book writer." My mother poo-pooed the idea, but Tim encouraged me to give it my best shot, despite my already busy schedule. Two years later I received my little little diploma and only a few days later this email appeared:

Thank you for sending the revision of “Beachcombing: A Window into the Past” for our review. Our editorial staff has now had the chance to discuss the new manuscript, and I’m happy to report that we’d like to accept your article for publication in Spider, with your permission to edit it in-house.

Editing is standard practice at Cricket Magazine Group... The editing process takes from four to six months, after which time you will have an opportunity to see and approve all changes.


At this time, I’m unable to tell you when the story will appear in print. We work eight months in advance of issue date and have a number of manuscripts awaiting assignment. After I receive your go-ahead, I’ll begin editing the manuscript and will send you an edited copy within the next few months.

I'm thrilled that a professional thinks my writing is pretty good, this acceptance will give me the nudge I need to start working on a new piece. Tim has been our resident writer with a dozen articles under his name, but he will be happy to share the spotlight, especially if it is followed by a check arriving in the mail.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Cricket Magazine group is one of the most respected in the children's magazine market. Congratulations on your very prestigious acceptance!

The Real Katie said...

Congratulations! I used to read Spider, Cricket, and all those magazines when I was younger. They always had the best stories!