Monday, February 11, 2008

happy birthday Mary!

Saturday night, right when Will came in to kiss me goodnight he said, "I forgot the banner." It has been his job for several years now to hang a huge sign from the mantelpiece wishing happy birthday greetings. It amazes me that he always remembers, mostly because this is a child who still can't remember to get dressed and brush his teeth without 9 reminders and a threat of no breakfast if he doesn't comply. I shouldn't talk because while I remember to get 6 people's teeth brushed every morning, I have forgotten about the tooth fairy's obligation to put money under the pillow so many times that the children started leaving reminder notes on my bedside table.

Mary had a lovely gift opening extravaganza with clothes for Nikki, her American Girl doll as well as a cowgirl hat with pink leather cords. After supper we lit the candles and all sang the Happy Birthday song with Will's piano accompaniment. All in all, it was a good birthday.

As she gets more mature Mary reminds me of the best and worst of myself, helpful, caring, but apt to be bossy and display a hot temper. While I struggle every day with my faults, I hope and pray that if carefully nurtured and encouraged she can become much more good and holy than her mother. She will certainly need it, declaring her life's ambition to be a mommy of 8.

No comments: