Wednesday, April 27, 2011

sweating and gasping for breath

I'm so grateful that my next-to-last race in Virginia was last weekend, the last day of cool weather before we had to crank up the AC. I placed first in my age bracket with 23:40 time and went back to run with Mary, only to find her so far back that I thought I had missed her. With no training whatsoever she ran a 5K in 35 minutes, not so great, but she promised to start running with me in Maine. 

Starting Sunday afternoon it has become so muggy that I have been forced to stop every mile and carry a bottle of water in one hand, while my safety stick is in the other. Between the heat and a minor procedure I'm having in a few weeks, I don't know if I will be able to compete in an upcoming 4 miler. It seems hard to believe that less than 2 weeks ago I ran 13 miles without stopping, but now I can't run 2 miles without feeling like my heart is going to explode.  

No comments: