Thursday, December 30, 2010

teaching another child to quilt

One of the benefits of homeschooling is having free time to work with each child on subjects that are dear to us. Tim has been able to instill in the boys an interest in antique cars and the space program, and both boys love building model cars and airplanes without fear of being taunted by peers for being "weird." Both older girls have developed an desire to run in road races with me, especially ones that offer prizes (their mother is super-competitive in such things). Both Will and Mary have helped me piece quilts in the past and made each other gifts from my scrap bag and now it seems that it is 8 year old Maggie's turn to learn to follow Mommy's footsteps.

This week with no school on the schedule for the little ones, we have had plenty of opportunity to sew and press blocks on a new top I am making for our bed. I really like the lap quilt I made last year with a flannel backing, it is incredibly warm and fuzzy, but certainly not big enough to cover a king-size bed. This new project is very ambitious with 81 stars of various blue fabrics on a white muslin backgroud. In just a few days we have gone from a smattering of 6" squares on the carpet to 32 pieced stars because of Maggie's help.




Yes, I have to stand beside her and lay the pieces under the presser foot exactly to ensure a 1/4" seam and it does take time to pick out some of her seams, but she is learning. In time perhaps she will make this her hobby for life, one in which she can express herself artistically and keep her family warm at the same time.  

1 comment:

Carletta said...

What a great project! I bought my 6 year old a beginner's sewing kit for Christmas and she is off and running. I don't sew, so I don't know if we'll ever get around to quilting. But it is fun sharing hobbies with children. It's also a great way for them to learn.