Wednesday, December 22, 2010

cramming

The last few days before Christmas are so empty of activities it seems unreal, no piano, no violin, no Scouts, no dance. If it wasn't for the strange feeling I have of being behind then I could actually relax and appreciate the fact that all the gifts are bought, most are wrapped, and the only things on the schedule are a trip to the cemetery to decorate graves on Christmas Eve and Mass followed by the family party on Christmas Day.

Of course the little children are ahead in their studies, Charlie is finished with 1st grade history and 1/2 way through religion, even though he isn't even officially enrolled in 1st grade yet. Mary has 1 more paragraph to write for her last 5th grade book report, and Maggie is so far ahead in her studies that she is likely to graduate at the age of 14 at this rate.

Will, on the other hand, has only written a vague outline for his book report that I need finished by January 3 and he has wiggled out of a complicated English assignment 2 days in a row. So, if I could put all the other children on ice for a week or so and work with my 12 year old 8 hours a day I would allow myself to feel sufficiently ahead enough to take a little eggnog break. But since that isn't going to happen, I better go downstairs, turn off the electric train, and march my crew up to the schoolroom to get to work.

No comments: