Wednesday, June 17, 2009

orphanages for children with parents

My favorite quote from Dr. Laura is when she was on a panel of one of those daytime shows like Oprah and was getting hammered by the anti-stay-at-home crowd. She asked, "Suppose you were to come back to this world as a little baby. Raise your hand if would you want to be put in day care as opposed to being taken care of at home by your own mother?" It immediately shut down all opposition.

This news article reminds me of her question, Why have children if you aren't going to raise them?" How on earth can someone consider warehousing their small child in an institution for over 10 hours a day?

(LifeSiteNews.com) - A sweeping change that would combine day care with kindergarten in Ontario schools is being proposed by Liberal Premier Dalton McGuinty. The plan would allow parents of 4- and 5-year-olds to leave their children at school from 7:30 in the morning to 6 in the evening.

John Campbell, chairman of the Toronto District School Board, approved of the proposal, saying many parents will welcome the possibility of leaving their children in care facilities for a longer period of time.


"With so many households where you have two working parents or if you have a single-parent family where the sole parent is working, they're already looking for these kinds of solutions," he said in a Canadian Press report.

Chair of the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board, Lynn Scott said, “I think some parents will certainly welcome it. I’m not sure that’s true of all parents,” she told the Ottawa Citizen, and added that acceptance of the program "will depend on how much importance people place on parents interacting with their young children."

2 comments:

Maurisa said...

This makes me very sad. We're going to end up with a world of "unattached" people, unable to have normal familial relationships.

Whenever there is a push for mandatory preschool or all day kindergarten I wonder how much of that push comes from households where both parents work and they are just looking for a place to put their children all day long.

Ken said...

Great entry.

Found your blog because I search blogs for Dr. Laura references because:

1. When I find positive mentions, it is a great way to find marriage-and-family-minded bloggers, and;

2. When I find negative mentions, they are usually sad and tired, but somewhat entertaining anyway... often because I find that the blogger is misrepresenting something Dr. Laura said or wrote.

Thank you for your family's contribution to protecting America, and to raising well the next generation.

My mother was a SAHM and I'm sure glad she was!

(I am my wife's boyfriend, my kid's dad, and someone thankful for what we've learned from Dr. Laura.)