Wednesday, April 01, 2009

sweet rest

Last night I awoke with a start at 2:15am to perfect silence. Then I put my head down on the pillow and heard a faint cry from the next room. As soon as I opened the door and turned on the light Julia Ellen quieted and waited for me to offer her Mommy milk. Gradually she has gone from 3 hours between night feeds to 6 hours of sleep for her, resulting in 5 hours for me (going to bed at 8pm would be nice, but...).

As I looked down at my little girl and stroked her soft head I was so proud (hopefully not in a sinful way) that every ounce of her body, every drop of food she has consumed has miraculously come from me. What a satisfying feeling, not at all what Hanna Rosin, a liberal writer had to say about how babies keep mothers tied at home and not productive. Anyone can get a job and earn a few $$, but only I could assist in the creation of this tiny and precious child.

1 comment:

Jenny Lynn said...

Well said! I like your perspective a little better than hers;).