Monday, April 06, 2009

do ray me fa so...

I've plucked the book Raising Musical Kids off the shelf at the library after one of the ladies started a discussion on the Ora board about the best series to teach piano.


We have been through 3 piano teachers due to military moves and have been very happy, despite or perhaps because of, our serendipitous method of finding a teacher. Our first instructor was the church organist who played at our wedding. When we moved to North Carolina both kids had a great year after Mrs. Hillman called me in response to fliers we posted around the neighborhood. This past year I had one week to find someone before leaving for Maine and was referred to their current teacher by a national piano teacher association.

The book covers when to begin music study, how to find a good teacher, choosing the right instrument, and the best chapter: describing what good practicing looks like. Usually I read books like this and mentally file away the useful information, but I am hitting Office Depot this afternoon to xerox this chapter to keep on hand. Apparently Will has been doing something that Robert Cutietta, a musician, music teacher, parent, and writer recommends; playing a fun and well known piece at the end of each practice. Everyone in the house is pretty sick of hearing "Ghost Ship" when he plays it as his finale every day, but it gives him confidence (as well as an opportunity to make everyone roll their eyes in exasperation).

2 comments:

Maurisa said...

My oldest does the same thing. The piece changes over time, but she is my most consistent "practicer". I might just mention that tip to my other two pianists and my little flautist!

Karen said...

My oldest daughter (Brittany, 14) auditioned for the Bangor Symphony Youth Orchestra this spring and made it. Their Spring Concert was last night at Ellsworth High School. It has really broadened her flute playing. She's on her 4h yr of flute, with no private lessons. Fortunately, we have a very musically inclined award-winning school district (MSAD 48) with some long-standing great teachers of music. Brittany picked up the tenor sax 2 yrs ago so that she could audition for jazz band (I admit, one thing lacking in our school jazz band, the instructor will not put a flute in there no matter how much I beg, lol). We have a piano in our home courtesy of freecycle. :) I really wish we could afford piano lessons! Regardless, Brittany and a few of the others have played around on it and do quite well considering they've had no lessons. This yr I have two starting out with trumpets, Lauren (11) and Christopher (almost 10). Lauren wants to try out for jazz band (if we are still here). Sarah is my only "older" child who isn't playing an instrument. Her instrument is her voice. :) She does chorus and show chorus (we won the state competition this wkend that was held in Houlton!). I am hoping to give my children the more rounded education that I did *not* receive by encouraging them to sing and/or pick up an instrument.