Thursday, April 30, 2009

not so good vibrations

At my 6 week post-partum doctor's appointment I mentioned this chronic upper back pain I have been experiencing. She said it was likely due to carrying Julia Ellen around and recommended a massaging pillow. Since getting my new sewing machine I have been doing a lot of quilting and this past week have been working on some yellow star baby quilt tops.


Then it hit me, the pain in my back wasn't due to the baby, but to vibrations from the machine going right up my back. Our rental house was so cheaply built that a toddler walking across the floor sounds like a 400 pound man is jumping up and down from underneath. The light bulbs in the basement have to be replaced every month because of the effect of this vibration. Since then I have put a carpet pad under my chair and a pillow on my chair with no effect.

I don't want to stop quilting, especially right after buying such an expensive machine and frame, but I don't want to risk permanently damaging my back if I continue. Luckily this isn't going to be our residence forever and I will ask the builder up in Maine to reinforce the joists or whatever needs to be done to make sure I can quilt in the future.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

How many more weeks till Maine? And then are you guys done there?


(BTW, I started my blog again...nothing too exciiting, but it's a start!)

kat said...

Tracy,
I think we leave in 9 weeks. Unfortunatly we have another 2 years at this duty station, but the kids and I might move up earlier.
I hope things get easier for you at your next duty station, you have had one tough year. May God bless your family and keep you safe.