Thursday, November 06, 2008

hiring help

Over the past month I have had a very hard time trying to teach the older kids with 2 little boys underfoot. It didn't help that the schoolroom and the playroom have occupied the same space, leading to much complaining, "Make them be QUIET!" Finally I just gave up and let the boys watch movies in the next room so we could get work accomplished.

"I need help," I told my husband but after investigating nannies on the net, I realized at $500 a month, we just couldn't afford a "professional" to watch them each morning.

"Think, think, think of another option," I told myself and then put out the call on our local Catholic homeschool yahoo group and asked a neighbor to do the same among the local Orthodox Jewish community. Within a few days I was inundated with offers of babysitters. We settled on two girls, a homeschool teen comes on Friday mornings and a college girl comes Monday and Wednesdays, each for 2 hours. Working efficiently Will and Mary can get most of their work done and practice the piano by 11am. Both girls have been great with the kids and today we cleaned the bottom basement and put all the toys down there with a clean square of carpet so they have somewhere better to play.

With baby #6 cooking, I realized that I just couldn't do it all alone: clean the house, care for the kids, teach the older children, cook the meals, and run the errands. Help has arrived and I have found in the past week that our daily routines have become much smoother because of it.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

good for you!!

next, get a maid.

kat said...

Actually I much prefer cleaning in fits and starts throughout the day than stressing out picking up all the clutter once a week so I can pay someone to clean my house. For years I hired someone to clean, but these days it is cleaner and I am calmer!

Lerin said...

It IS a lot for one person! And I just have three, with one more on the way. I'm glad you saw the need for help and asked for it!

By the way, I just LOVE your header... that is hilarious.