Saturday, December 13, 2008

Skipping the needle...

Those of us with pre-adolescent girls have been reading ads and hearing pediatricians expound the merits of having our daughters receive the Gardasil vaccine against HPV. On the surface it sounds wonderful, after all who doesn't want to protect their child from cancer? However, this drug has been linked to 21 deaths, hundreds of hospitalizations and thousands of adverse reactions. Reading more in-depth should give anyone pause about offering up their child's health and life on the altar of Merck's accounting books.

Non-promoted facts about Gardasil:

1) It is not cheap and there are known and unknown side-effects.

2) There have been no long term (10 yrs plus) studies on Gardasil's safety when used in humans. We do not know the long term ramifications on these girl's reproductive systems.

3) There are more than 90 strains of HPV - Gardasil only protects against 4 - other HPV viruses can cause cancer.

4) HPV can take up to 20 years to cause cancer. The effectiveness of Gardasil is questionably 5 years. How many booster shots will be required?

5) We do not have an epidemic of cervical cancer, the majority of women who develop it are in their late forties.

6) Cervical cancer is not a public health crisis, it is already preventable through pap smears.

7) An HPV infection will clear up in the overwhelming majority of women. Only a few get an infection that stays - only few of these will develop precancerous lesions and only a few of these will develop cancer.

8) The test carried out in young girls by Merck only looked at the immune response not whether it would prevent cervical cancer.

9) Gardasil provides less than 70% protection from all the HPV strains known to cause cancer. Your daughter will not need this vaccine if she does not smoke, is not sexual active, or if she is - gets an annual pap smear, has no family history of reproductive cancer or DES use, and has a healthy diet.
Life Site News

1 comment:

Denise said...

Last spring I took my high school senior to the NNMC adolescent clinic for her pre-college physicial. The contract physician there read me the riot act because I was not getting my daughter vaccinated. I explained that I am a physician, I have studied the issue extensively, and I am concerned about the safety issue. She insisted that I must be concerned this would make my daughter more likely to be sexually active. Of course, this is the same physician who fussed at my daughter a year ago because she routinely wears sports bras. She wanted to know why my daughter was trying to inhibit her bust development. My not-very-busty-collegiate-athlete daughter just finds sports bras comfortable. Bottom line is there are some health care providers with their own agendas. As parents we need to stand firm on what we think is best for our kids. I've written quite a few posts on the HPV vaccine. You can read them here.