Monday, December 01, 2008

changes in latitude, changes in attitude

One thing I have noticed in living in both Maine and other places is the difference in attitude toward anything "green." In Maine recycling is a way of life, even tiny towns have dozens of recycling bins for almost everything at the transfer station (otherwise known as the dump), cashiers use as few plastic bags as possible, and nothing seems to be wasted in the trash - no finding antiques out by the curb for sure!

In Virginia, North Carolina, and now DC, every trip to the grocery results in a pile of over 30 plastic bags on my kitchen floor. I hate to throw them away, instead using them as trash can liners all over the house. The baggers at the Commissary are the worst offenders, even though I ask to not have the milk, diapers, etc. put in bags they end up encased in double layers of plastic anyway. My tipping point was yesterday when I went up to the Giant to get a copy of the paper for the coupons, which weren't even there because it was a holiday weekend, and they put the newspaper in a bag!

I guess I will hit the thrift shop while the big kids are at piano lessons Tuesday and pick up 5-6 tote bags to pack up the groceries (my others got left up in Maine by accident). My only question is how long will it take to use up all the plastic bags I already have stuffed under the sink?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know if this is the case in your area, but several of our local grocery stores (I'm in the midwest) have recycle bins in the entrance specifically for plastic bags.
Another option would be to save them for a future yard sale. Or maybe donate them to a local consignment or thrift shop?

kat said...

I could put them in the recycle bin but I would rather use them up myself or just not get them at all. I think the local thrift shop would just throw them away, they use huge black bags for purchases, which make great/free kitchen trash can liners!