Monday, November 02, 2009

I need a rewind please

Yesterday morning we all woke up refreshed from an extra hour of sleep, hustled the children into dresses and oxford cloth shirts, and headed off to 8am Mass. "My purse is stuffed with coloring books, extra nappies, and crayons. I don't need my wallet," I thought out loud before we left. As we pulled into the parking lot Tim spied a sign in front of the Knights of Columbus building, "Pancake Breakfast: 8-12 today." He suggested we go instead of hitting the doughnuts after Mass and I agreed saying that I would pay for it with cash left over from the Maine trip. I only remembered the left behind wallet at the end of Mass, "Never mind, go get your doughnuts kids," I whispered.

I so wish that I had stuffed that wallet somewhere in the car or my overstuffed purse, as when I was waiting in line for a cup of tea Charlie reached up and pulled a lady's cup of boiling hot coffee down his front. He started screaming and writhing on the floor. Tim acted fast, hustling him off to the bathroom to wet him down. Luckily his pants were heavy twill and nothing got through them, but he did get burned on his tummy. A little antibiotic ointment, some Tylenol, and a bandaid later he was better, but it was the open bag of Halloween candy that made him forget all about his injury. As I was holding his head and his seat belt strap away from his stomach so it didn't chafe on the way home, I keep thinking, "This wouldn't have happened if I had brought that wallet. We would be chowing down on the all you can eat buffet."

It amazes me that we haven't had more accidents with all these children but our guardian angels have been looking over us well. Charlie will recover, the kids will think twice about grabbing stuff, and I am looking forward to the next monthly breakfast. I think I'll buy a bigger purse just for the occassion.

No comments: