Friday, June 01, 2012

summer project finished before summer?



About 6 weeks ago I took two machine quilting classes taught by machine quilter extraordinaire Teri Lucas. After listening to her advice as to how to proceed, I took on a huge project that had been sitting on my shelf for about 2 years, a king-size double 9 patch in red/white. After basting it on the quilt frame, I have been using every spare moment to work on it, especially those quiet early, early morning hours before any children arise. 

Pink thread on red fabric sounds dreadful, but it allows the teardrop stitches to be visible (I tried red thread at first and realized you couldn't see any of my lovely quilting!), but not garishly so, had I used white thread. The cream/white pathways are quilted in a red variegated thread with freehand leaves and vines. The dense stitching of the red pathways really makes the fabric visually recede and the variation in all the fabrics I chose appear more uniform. 

I've got to finish that last red border and the outer border, but I figure at this rate I'll have used up 7 spools of thread in a matter of a month. My finished winter bed quilt will certainly before the snow flies, and quite possibly before it gets hot enough to not need a blanket on the bed.  







No comments: