Thursday, July 09, 2009

run faster!

After a year long respite I signed up for another running race, but this time one of the children agreed to run with me. Mary has gone running a few times and shows promise so when I explained that the course was less than 2 miles and all downhill she agreed. This morning we got up, futzed around for a bit and topped off Julia Ellen’s tank, before leaving town to go up to Brewer in the misty rain. I was much more nervous than she was, I knew I wasn’t as fast as I was last year. However, the crowds of people lining the route cheered us all on (the 4th of July parade starts 15 minutes after the race) and the views over the Penobscot River were quite pretty. I finished the 3000m in about 13:30 (my first mile time was 6:30) and started back to cheer on Mary, only to find her standing in the chute, already finished with a time around 14:30.

I was so proud of my little runner and she paraded around the rest of the day in her race shirt making Maggie and Will jealous. They have already promised to run next year with the added bonus of seeing the parade and scooping up some candy from the floats. Now I just have to convince Tim to haul the rest of the crew to cheer us on, I think the mention of classic cars and a 1952 John Deere tractor just might be the trick.

No comments: