Monday, January 19, 2009

the longest week of the year...

is week 15 of the school calendar. We follow Seton's lesson plans pretty faithfully and I find that that particular week drags on and on. There another 3 weeks to go before the end of the quarter and the dreaded book reports still have yet to be started. Then it seems like BAM! we break through and we reach the promised land of week 17.

Usually what I do is let the stack of work get progressively shorter as we take the quarter's tests, starting fresh after we send the whole packet out in the mail. However, this year with Baby Sunshine due in 7 weeks, I am pushing ahead on these subjects until all the assignments are completed. So while Will is still on week 16 in history




(they put down reading the whole chapter in 1 day which is too much info to process and retain), he is on week 20 in science (bees are very interesting creatures). Mary is on week 17 in most subjects, but week 19 in history and week 20 in science.



I have tried to explain my need to get as much school finished as possible before the baby arrives, but I still hear whining, "I took the test in this already!" The only subject I haven't gotten any complaints about is Will's science text, Apologia's Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day. I am glad we chose this alternative book, we are learning lots about birds, bats, flying dinosaurs, and insects and it is presented in a Christian and colorful manner.

No comments: