Friday, August 29, 2008

“Mommy, Why are you screaming?”

Sarah Palin is a faithful Catholic, pro-life, a member of the NRA, a mom of 5 including a soon-to-be-deployed to Iraq soldier, a dynamic speaker, and a politician with loads of experience. As I drove the kids home from sailing lessons this afternoon listening to her inspiring and patriotic speech in Dayton, Ohio I started crying. This is a politician I can be enthusiastic about, someone to vote for rather than just the better of two bad choices.

God bless John McCain for today’s pick. As a former leftist feminista I want to see a woman succeed - but now I am excited when that woman is conservative. She blows the liberal candidates out of the water with her life experiences and her positions.

I was skimming about on-line and found this great bit from Mark Hemmingway at NRO:

"One of McCain's recurring jokes is that in the Senate he's not known as Miss Congeniality. Well, it turns out that back in her beauty pageant days, Palin actually was Miss Congeniality.

Which is not to say Sarah Barracuda is soft. While I was familiar with her political accomplishments and a few personal details, until I read that piece in the Alaska Daily News linked above, I had no idea how compelling her biography is. Her credentials as a committed wife and mother on top of her political success are excellent and I suspect they will appeal to soccer moms and — dare I say it — those with a feminist streak. As for men, she's a hunter and a former championship basketball player and sportscaster. She clearly knows how to connect with the overwhelmingly male electorate in her state. Also, her husband, who Palin calls "the First Dude", is an oil worker, fisherman and three time winner of the 2,000 mile Iron Dog snowmobile race, who sounds like the kind of manly hombre NASCAR dads will appreciate.

(Remember how giddy people were over the fact that Hillary did a beer and a shot on the trail? I suspect Palin could down a whole bottle of Wild Turkey and still hit six more campaign stops that day.) This is an admittedly informal indicator, but based on the way my inbox is filling up and my phone is ringing, nothing the McCain campaign has done to date comes close to generating the enthusiasm of the Palin pick. "


updated: Gov. Palin isn't Catholic, thank you Karen for letting me know. With no internet at the house, I can't research like I am used to doing. There may be many theological differences between Catholics and evangelical Protestants, but our love for country, God, and family puts us on the same side on many political issues.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think she's catholic--they said she was assembly of god. They speak in tongues. Being anti choice doesn't make you catholic.

Anonymous said...

I knew you would have a comment!!! I logged on to check it out. I do believe I heard that she is a long distance runner too - thus the first son named Track!

I had been searching the internet for the folks McCain was looking at for VP, and I found Sarah Palin. I knew that she might be a bit of wild card, but I thought she would be the best choice for a winning ticket. I didn't know if she would accept with the 4 month old baby with down syndrome.

I am pretty excited as well.

Karen said...

She isn't a practicing Catholic.

"Palin was baptized as a Catholic but later began attending the Wasilla Assembly of God church. At age 12 she, her mother and sisters were re-baptized in nearby Beaver Lake. The former pastor of her new church would give the invocation at her inauguration."

Source